Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Found another '73. Overdrive question.

Hi,

I've found another '73 Stag here in Shreveport, LA! It's a red 4-speed,
no rust, 40,276 actual mile car. Some guy bought it for his daughter and
she hot-rodded it so he took it away and drove it himself. Car has been
sitting since '78 (now that sounds familiar :-).

Question: Did any of the Stags imported into the US have overdrive? If
so, where is the switch and what does it look like?

I couldn't find an OD switch, so I looked under the car. I saw what
appears to be a normal looking tranny tail housing, i.e. no overdrive. I
assume that an overdrive can be fitted if I can find one (probably have
to change the output shaft and driveshaft). So;

Question: What overdrive unit goes on a Stag? Anybody got one for sale?
I just happen to have a Leycock unit from a big Healey, but I doubt
that's the one I need.

Thanks,
Charles