Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front suspension rebuild

Hi Brian

According to your e-mail to Peter, you have also popped in new springs.  I
hope these are correct, there are many Stag owners who have bought new
springs and torn them out again because the ride height is much too high
and the rate totally incorrect.

Actually the rolling radius of 195/70 versus 185/88 (standard profile) is
very similar indeed so should not make any difference to ride height (apart
from the tread thickness on your new tyres!).

The twisting of the bushes is not peculiar to the Stag, it is a generally
accepted procedure on car suspension systems.

Finally, the ride height from ground to front wheel arch should be 26.25"
plus or minus 0.25" so you are actually not far out.  Personally I would
have the car ride slightly low, as it tends to lift less at speed and also
the positive camber of the front wheels diminishes, the lower the
suspension gets.

Also note the Stag does tend to 'sag' towards the right (on RHD cars
anyway) due to weight bias.  Where this happened on new car production,
they would cut the left upper spring mounting to enable it to deflect more.
 At least, this is what a guy I know who worked in their new car
rectification shop, says.  Hmmmmmm

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register