Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Windshield leak,oilcooler install , AC problem, boot pops open and vapor lock

Hi Ralph, here's a few ideas to be getting on with:

1)  I have a leak on the drivers side of the car down by my feet when I
drive in a hard rain.  The water also comes out between the seal and glass
in the corner.  Anybody have this problem.

   There is a drip channel underneath the join between the front wing and the
   lower windscreen panel, which on my car appeared to be either rusted out
   or not working. Get some transparent or black silicone bathroom
   sealant and caulk the join. Use this sealant to also do the top and bottom
   corners of the windscreen rubber seal (it cracks worse around the corners).
   This is not as good as taking off the wing and repairing the channel, or
   renewing the windscreen rubber, but it keeps your feet dry for a lot less
   hassle. Also suspect the join between the capping at the top of the
   windscreen where the soft or hard top connects. That can let a whole
   lot of water into the windscreen pillars which will get in the car.

4)  My boot will pop open when I am driving around, there seems to be no
reason why this happens. Has anybody else experienced this problem and if
so how do you fix it.

   Try adjusting the striker plate as far to the side as possible. If it
   still pops open, check for wear at the contact point between the striker
   plate and the lock catch. The striker on my car was rounded at the edge.
   A new striker plate was only 6 pounds UK, and the boot has never popped open
   since (apart from when I press the button).

5)  I experience major vapor lock after a long drive on a hot day and the
car is parked for about half an hour in the sun.  The only way to start it
is to crank it like crazy while you pump the gas madly.  Is there a better
way.

   Lots of people have this fault in the UK also. Fortunately this year it
   is unlikely to have manifested itself at all, as we have had no summer.
   Check petrol tank breather pipes, and emission cannisters.

Hope that these feeble suggestions give you some help!

Regards, David Luke.
The opinions stated here are mine alone and do not neccessarily
reflect the opinions of Ericsson Telecommunications Ltd.
Telephone Office: +44 1444 23 19 65