Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Alternate Stag Engines

WHOA!   What are you dragging me into this for?

I have two Stags, neither original.

I also know of one that had the original motor for 2 months. He bought it
from a local parts supplier that dealt in new and used parts as well as
cars.  I came very close to getting it myself, but he beat me to it.
After the two months or so ( maybe a little more..the details get hazy )
the owner heard a grinding noise and it turned out that the cam had eaten
into the heads.  He did a conversion using a TR8 motor with 5 speed trans
from Ted Schumacher.  He is still driving it every day.  He did the
conversion maybe about 11 years ago.

Now for mine.  No, mine are not 350 chevy...but the '71 has the 327
Corvette that Glenn alluded to.  I have no idea what it cost to do the
conversion as I bought it that way, but can tell you that it was done
well.  To look at the car from the outside, you wouldn't be able to tell
it wasn't stock.  The shifter is even the original.  The radiator area
was cut, but not because of the radiator but because of the way they
mounted the a/c thing...what is that the condenser?  The car was driven
like that for 4 years between Atlanta and Richmond while the owner was
going to school.  The front motor mounts were hooked to the originals as
was the rear engine mount.  It used the original pipes from the trans
back and had custom headers...you talk about expensive!  The headers were
rusted out pretty badly and I priced getting a set made.  $1000.  I've
started to learn how to mig weld and the first set didn't quite work, so
I'm on my second attempt.  The value Glenn put on it was a little
high...I got the car for $400.  The car is a real pleasure to drive and
the power is unbelievable.  Oh yeah, it uses the TH350 trans and the
Corvette differential connected to the Stag axles.   It is running a 273
rear gear set.

The other Stag is a great example of how not to do a conversion.  It is a
'73.  I bought it for $1000 as a non-running car but I wanted to use the
alloy wheels the '73 had on the '71.  The '71 had EMCO chrome wires that
were rusted pretty badly from sitting in the barn for 12 years. Talk
about some heavy wheels! I was told that the trans was shot when I bought
it.  It has the Buick 3.8 with a TH350 and the original rear.  I got the
car, checked the trans fluid, filled it up and drove the car for two
months.  I hated it. It is sitting in a warehouse in MS waiting till I
get done the '71, then the TR7, then the TR250....then it will be time
for the '73.  The trans gear ratios do not match the rear ratio at all
and it buzzes at 55...enough that it is like a drone.  It is really quick
off the line, and catches rubber in second every time, but it is maxed
out at 75-80..if you can stand it that long.  The motor mounts were
buggered up pretty badly.  It has a original equipment  stainless steel
exhaust system that had to be slightly modified at the front to match the
Buick cast iron exhaust manifold.  That was the best part of the job.
The motor was resting on the power steering hoses and would cause it to
screw the rack.  Also they used the Buick pump, which put out too much
pressure and blew the rack....twice.  The PO replaced the rack with a new
one from Rimmer but it didn't help.   To look at this car from the
outside it also looks completely stock.

I have to say that I have never been in a running original Stag even
though the offer was there when I was in Glenn's neck of the woods a few
months ago.  ( That offer still stand?)  A conversion will definitely
lower the value of a Stag....but if you are concerned about the motor,
why not do a non-invasive conversion,( It is possible, the '71 is living
proof ) and rebuild the original motor, and keep it for a better time?

As far as 500 Stags in the US...that may very well be a close count.  I
have two, know of two in NC, one in FL, 5 others here in the Atlanta
area.

Anyone else want to start counting them up?

Now for something you'll really like...anyone ever pull the steering
column out and then replace it?  Did you come up with an easy way  to get
that bolt that goes through the two eyelets at the firewall through?  I
said a few nasty words trying to get that thing in last night.   Took
about an hour, and my wife and one of my sons helping to get it.

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]