Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Engine Conversions

I have a Rover V8 conversion, that was probably done in the early to mid
eighties. I've had the car two years, and although I had to restore the
body, the engine seemed all right. It still runs quite nicely, and I
don't think it's ever been rebuilt. Mine was obviously done on the cheap, as
the engine is mounted quite far forward (the radiator was moved) and also the
dashpots foul the bonnet, so a bulge was put in. Four branch manifolds were
used running into custom downpipes and then into the standard system.

I've no idea what the engine mounts are, but I'm going to have to find out
as I think they need replacing soon.

The conversion bits not including the engine would easily be 700 pounds,
before labour. By the time you've got a good Rover engine as well, you might
as well spend 1500 on a good Stag Engine rebuild.

Having said that, my conversion was obviously done to keep the car alive in
an era when the Stag Engine's problems were still unsolved. I believe it
is possible to keep a Stag Engine running well for years after a good rebuild,
although not easy.

I'd rather have a Stag Engined car, although some of the Richard Lane Rover
conversions (especially with fuel injection and no bonnet modification) are
very attractive indeed.

Regards, David Luke.

Brighton, England.
The opinions stated here are mine alone and do not neccessarily
reflect the opinions of Ericsson Telecommunications Ltd.
Telephone Office: +44 1444 23 19 65