Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V4 #18

Mark - if you are looking for a "cheap" alternative, the TR-6 engine
is supposed to bolt in with only spacers for the motor mounts. The
tranny is identical (externally). A work of warning - this is what I
have heard, not done myself. It is always possible that it may take
more effort.
It has been a long time since I have been in the market for a used
engine, but I would suspect that you could find a used TR-6 engine
much easier than a used stag engine.
Myself, I had the stag engine rebuilt to keep the car original, but
if money doesn't permit this now, you might consider looking for an
old TR-6 engine...Ted Rose

At 07:28 PM 8/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>*************************
>Help!
>
>Desparate and Stagless!
>
>Three months ago I purchased a 1976 auto Stag, I have only driven it 122
>km's, and unfortunatly overheated the engine, it has been sitting in my
>garage for the past three months gathering dust while I work to pay off
>the car loan. I am 24 years old (but much wiser for the experience!),
>and basicaly blew it.
>I need advice/help on what to do from here. My mechanic has taken apart
>the block, the two heads are warped, due to being severly overheated,
>valve guides are no good, there is no thermostat, and therefore was
>runing extra hot, sounds like my best option could be to source a 2nd
>hand Stag engine, as I would like to keep the car original for resale
>value (not that I will be selling it!)
>I know nothing about car's except that for over ten years I have had a
>passion for Triumph Stag's and now that I am living on Australia's Gold
>Coast, I thought this would be a perfect place to own one.
>Call me a sucker, but I have been stung by the Stag, and are very keen
>to get mine up and runing. Unfortunatly I am still paying off the 12K
>for the car so cash flow is a problem.
>Any suggestions ??????????

***************** Join us at the ****************
* *
* America's Users' Conference *
* Sheraton Universal Hotel *
* October 5-9, 1998 *
* Universal City, California *
* *
__ __ _____ _______ Ted Rose
/ | / | / ___ \ / _____/ Manager of MSC/NASTRAN Training and Support
/ | / | | \ \ /_/ / / ted.rose@domain.elided
/ / |/ /| | _ \ \ / / MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation
/ /| | / | | / /__\ | / /_____ Corporate Headquarters
/_/ |__/ |_| \_____/ /_______/ 815 Colorado Blvd.
Los Angeles, Calif., 90041
Tel: 323-259-3825 Fax: 323-259-4999

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and
do not reflect corporate views or policies of The MacNeal-Schwendler Corp.
(and for that matter they probably don't even reflect reality)