Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Vibration

Hello Mark,
    Welcome to the "club", that being the Triumph Stag Internet Digest List
Club....

> I am experiencing a vibration on both acceleration and deceleration at
> low RPM (between 1500 and 2000). Any ideas?

With the engine off, grab hold of the fan and rock it back and forth from
front to back.  There should be no..zero.. movement front to back.  Also,
give the fan a spin,  It should not freewheel, and stop rotation in about
one spin or less.  If you see either problem, replace the torquatrol unit.
Also, if you have the 16.5 inch metal fan, check it to see if it is straight
and in good condition.  It has more mass than the plastic fans, and if bent,
it's out of balance will give you a vibration.  Also, check that all fan
blades are intact.  Could also be bad mains.  Is the vibration at
standstill, or only when moving?

> I'm thinking of replacing the standard tail pipe with the better looking
> larger bore pipe. Will this fit the remaining standard system?

 The tailpipe portion should fit your existing system provided it is a
standard replacement system and not a custom setup from a hack garage.
Measure it first, then call the parts house.  If you are going to do the
whole exhaust, there is not much cost difference going to Stainless Steel,
and it is a lot nicer looking.  Note that the systems bore from manifold to
exhaust  are all basically the same diameter, only the tailpipe bores change
size.

> The high mileage engine generally sounds OK except for some noise from
> the left hand camshaft. Does tappet adjustment usually remedy this?

This depends on the type of noise you are getting.  The noise could very
well be the cam timing chain, in which case I would not recommend driving it
very far without replacing them.  Do you hear the noise all the time, under
decel, tick over or shut off, or acceleration?  If it is clearly a valve
tap, then expect to do the tappet adjustment.  Just be aware that the
adjustment uses shim pallets that requires removing the camshafts, just like
jag's.  If in question, do both.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Glenn Merrell
"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html