Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Tranny removal

Hello Larry,
    You can drop out the tranny without removing the engine, but you
need to make sure that the engine is well supported.  Remove the shifter
and boot from inside the car.  Make sure that you disconnect the shift
switch wires and clutch slave cylinder, all bolts, starter, etc.  before
dropping it on the floor, could be messy!  Getting to the starter bolts
is tight, but you can manage.   I'd recommend a tranny lift if you can
rent one from a tool rental shop, something to support the engine, and
one of your buddies.  I pulled mine myself with the car off the floor
about 18", supported the engine with the engine picker, and it slid
nicely off the back of the engine.  Make sure you support the tranny
while backing it off the engine as not to bend the input shaft.
    I'll assemble everything onto the engine before replacing the engine
when going back in though.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html