Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Cooling

Andrew

I'm sure you'll get lots of discussion on this always dear to Stag owners
hearts topic of cooling.  In any case I had a similar experience and in my
case the thermostat had suddenly decided to expire.  This can be easily
checked by removing the thermostat, placing it into a saucepan water on the
stove and boiling the water.  The thermostat should be fully open when the
water is bubbling away.  If you have a suitable thermometer you can
actually see where the temperature starts to open and close and then check
these against the ROM.  In my case the water was boiling merrily away and
the thermostat remained tightly closed.  Obviously broken.  If this is the
problem make sure you use the correct replacement thermostat and check this
one in the saucepan before installing it.

One advice I was given when my Stag boiled was to retorque the heads to try
and avoid blown head gaskets and coolant leaks.  I did this and I am happy
to say that I have not had any indication that the overheating has caused
any problems, even after many kilometres I do not have any water loss, no
compression loss and no overheating.  I hope you are as fortunate.

 Also check that you have not developed a leak anywhere such as a burst
hose as this would cause you to loose coolant leading to overheating.

Good Luck

Guy Grunwald
77 Mk2