Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Garage condensation problems

Thank you for your prompt replies,

Both Robert Ducker and Mike Wattam suspect the pit, this however was
installed by myself and is fully lined. It is only 2' 6" deep and
conincidentally is absolutely bone dry. Unlike the rest of the garage !

Peter Howells promotes the natural ventilation theory, with having a
corrugated asbestos roof there are a series of vents both back and front of
the garage inbetween the humps and as you mention the up & over door fits
where it touches.

Angus Holliday informs of self emptying dehumidifiers, my concern here was
mainly that once the garage reached a low humidity level the unit would then
draw a stream of moist air in from outside. Basically trying to dehumidify
the outside world, particularly as when the door is open a complete air
change is likely to occur.

My favourite answer to my problem was from Randel L Cruikshanks, Yes I would
love to move to California.

Listening to your ideas and with further research I am concluding that there
are two basic approaches.

One. The Ventillation theory

Create a healthy flow of air through the garage, either by fan or if the
surroundings allow natural ventillations ( watching cobwebs in my garage
suggests natural ventillation would need to be assisted ). This theory rides
on making the surfaces inside isothermal with the ambient therefore
preventing condensation, ie the garage acts more like a carport.

Two. The Conditioning theory

Isolate the garage from the surroundings by insulation and closing
ventillation holes, then condition the atmosphere inside. Probably with a
combination of background heat and dehumidification. The main drawback here
being that each time the door is opened the process would have to start a
fresh.

I think in the longer term I favour the second theory, the first has served
to improve the indoor climate although I still need to chamois the inside of
the screen before setting out !

Thanks again,

Andy Maughan