Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Garage condensation problems

Hi Andy
The best thing you can do is to provide ventilation. Your suggestions of an
Expelair and vents at the other end is along the right lines, but ideally
what you want to achieve is constant natural airflow through the garage as we
find under a house to stop the floor from going rotten. (Never cover those
airbricks!)
Unless the location of the garage is very protected, a ventilation opening at
each end to promote natural through ventilation should do the trick. I would
have thought that unless you have an airtight door, the usual poor fit of
such doors would supply the airflow from that end. So a few airbricks in the
other end should do it. Then you can hold a lighted candle in the garage with
door closed and watch the flame/smoke, which should travel form one end to
the other. Once achieved the garage will dry out in a few dry days, unless
your walls have no damproof course which is quite a major need/problem.
Be careful of that inspection pit with bare flame around, because they do
accumulate flammable gases, old fuel that sort of thing. Really they need to
be blown out from time to time with an airline.
If your garage is back to back with some other building, then a roof vent at
the far end will work. By the way, have you taken advice on that asbestos.
That stuff isn't too friendly, there may be a sealing spray you can get.
I wouldn't go spending money on dehumidifiers and heaters. The Car
manufacturers leave brand new cars out in open parks for long periods with a
simple wax coating so don't worry about the outside air being occasionally
humid. It gets dry again very quickly. Watch the pavement after a shower.
Very very rarely wet for more than 24 hours, and even in this damp old week
it dried out yesterday underfoot.
Hope it helped.
Peter Howells
Now about my auto fluid. Angus Holiday E-mailed me to say it doesn't hurt.
Any more nice noises out there?