Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V3 #16

In a message dated 20/11/97 05:37:25 GMT,  owner-stag-digest@domain.elided
writes:

<< Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:52:03 -0500
 From: Bruce Krobusek <BruceKro@domain.elided>
 Subject: Cylinder Head Remover?

 I've heard all sorts of horror stories of people trying to remove the =

 heads of their Stag engines and finding them almost welded to the =

 blocks due to corrosion. Well, I just received the Winter 1997 Moss =

 Motoring (USA) magazine, and saw something of interest. On page 24 is =

 an item described as a TR7 Cylinder Head Remover (at $449.95US). It =

 appears to be a large, angled flat plate. and is advertised as being =

 "the only safe and effective way to remove one of these stuck heads =

 without resorting to dynamite or blowtorch".

 Although pricey, I'm wondering if such a device would work as well for =

 the Stag motors since they're a derivation of the TR7 four pot. =

 Comments?

      Bruce

       Bruce A. Krobusek
         Rochester   NY
        brucekro@domain.elided
    brucekro@domain.elided
         '83 BMW R80RT
       '72 TR6  CC75665LO
      '73 Stag LE23546UBW

Bruce,

I have actually seen one of these items and have second hand knowledge of
it's operation. The one I have encountered is a 1/4" thick angle-plate which
bolts to the exhaust and inlet manifold holes. Five positioned bolts are then
tuned down onto the top of the cylinder head studs forcing the head to move
away from the block.

Sounds good don't it. Well the only head I known it remove ended up bent and
scrap.

This one is actuallya SAAB tool which has been modified to attach to the
right hand head as well.

Andy Maughan