Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Garage condensation problems

I read your E mail with interest.  As well as owning a Stag, I manage a
car storage business and am an agent for Carcoon, and would make the
following observations.

There are two ways of removing the moisture from the air/walls/floor of
your garage;

1 - to remove all humidity by sealing the garage totally and fitting a
dehumidifier (to pull the relative humidity down to just below 50%) - it
is in practice difficult to seal the garage enough and you would need a
commercial dehumidifier as the small units for use in a house will not
work in unheated areas

2 - keep the garage well ventilated and keed the air moving - you say
that a Carcoon would not fit, the Stag requires a size 4 which measures
15'5" long by 5'11" wide by approx 6' high.  The advantages of a Carcoon
are as follows:
        1 - it keeps the air moving around and through the car
preventing moisture settling (same principle as hanging washing out to
dry

        2 - it changes the air approx 3 times per hour so that wnen you
open the garage door for any reason, the condensation that would
normally form on the car (inside and out) settles harmlessly on the
outside of the Carcoon

        3 - the air pressure inside the Carcoon is slightly higher than
in the rest of the garage, again helping the keep moisture off your car.

I have been using Carcoons in my business for over 3 years and
personally prefer to keep my car in a Carcoon than in my business'
dehumidied storage facility.

The ultimate would of course be using the Carcoon within a dehumidified
facility (which is what I do !)

If you want to talk further, please give me a ring 01206 - 323683
--
David Horsnell