Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Garage condensation problems

My Stag which I have owned for six years has been stored during periods of
non use in a brick built garage, with asbestos sheet roof and steel up and
over door. The garage is in the middle of a terrace of garages and has a
lined inspection pit. Approximate size 18' x 8' x 10' in hieght.

This Autumn, for the first time I have been increasingly aware that the
garage floor, walls and the car are covered in a thin film of water. The only
change I think I've made this year is to seal and paint the floor. There is
no sign of water ingress to the building.

The size of the garage precludes the use of such an item as a carcoon and
this would also only affect the car. Scrutiny of the carcoon also reveals it
to provide little more than a ventilated plastic bag. Could I wonder much the
same effect be achieved with an expelair in the garage wall and vents at the
opposite end. This however would only serve to circulate the outside
atmosphere through the garage, ie. damp outside, damp inside.

I have tried heating the garage, this only seems, as expected to increase the
amount of condensation both held in the air and on cold surfaces. This I
would think would serve to accelerate corrosion.

Lastly I am considering buying a dehumidifier, my concern however is that it
would tend to pull moisture from outside as well as inside and be difficult
to regulate, ie when the door is opened and shut, plus require incessant
empting.

I would be pleased to hear of any other suggestions/sagas which subscribers
may have regarding this.

Andy Maughan, Darlington, County Durham