Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Wheel Well Holes

Hi Robert

First the suggestion for hardness testing sounds excellent and easy.

Cutting holes in the wheel wells eh?

I don't see Tony Hart that often thank God.(Its not that I don't like him. He
is very OK. I just don't like having to pay for work done on my car, even
though his standards are superbly high).
Regarding the wheel wells, I think the wheels would just chuck a load of junk
into the engine bay from the road.
I don't personally think you'll get much more air through the Radiator or
even need to. The air that goes through anyway travels out under the bulkhead
I suppose. If you pull the bonnet release catch as you go along, the back
edge of the bonnet lifts a little and you can see the temperature gauge go
down about half the width of the needle, (well it did on mine).
You could remove some of the rubber strip under the back of the bonnet, but I
didn't do that, because the gauge moved so little, and I didn't want engine
compartment smells coming into the heater intake. Also you can get your
bonnet slotted E type style by Monarch 01483 894473 (fax/phone) in Guildford
for #159.00 (Ex freight)
Tony Hart would probably recommend an Air Dam, as thats what he does for
racing and it shoves a lot more air into the radiator if its needed. (Get
that from Monarch as well!)
However I have always found the cooling problem when idling in traffic.
Cruising is no problem. Hence I favour electric fans.
See what else you get back.
Peter Howells