Re: [ihc] ...engine question

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:42:52 -0600, Ryan Moore <baradium@domain.elided> wrote:

> [...]

There *is* an exhaust leak.  The PO couldn't fix it, but assured me it
was minor.  On a route truck, there isn't much reason to worry, but in
a "normal" vechicle...

> > I will take it somewhere to get it looked at, but the engine was
> > rebuilt shortly before I bought the rig.  (But so was the tranny, and
> > you can see how that turned out....)  The engine diesels so I plan on
> > hitting it (again) with Sea Foam, but I'm at a loss as to what else I
> > can do.  The carb might be an issue, too, which is another reason I
> > considered fuel injection.  The choke, for one thing, probably still
> > isn't right.
> >

> That sounds to me like symptoms of having the timing too advanced.   Try
> retarding the timing and/or running a higher grade of fuel to see if
> anything changes.

I've run 87, 89, and 93 octane.  Dieseling is almost non-existant with
93.  I've since done a Sea Foam treatment and dropped down to running
87 half the time (on average every other fill-up) and the dieseling
isn't nearly as bad.  I can try and figure out the timing thing, too.

> > > I'd stick with the 258(rebuild or swap) or do the 4.0.  These are both
> > > good engines and are sized well for the vehicle so I would not be
> > > anxious to swap to some other engine type(v6,v8).   258s seem to be
> > > cheap engine to get with low miles on them as lots of folks swap them
> > > out in favor of v8(which I am considering for my TA but the hills
> > > around here and the weight of the TA are a bit too much for the 258 as
> > > is).
> > >
> > I always thought the 258 was the best option for the Scout and the
> > manner in which I use it.  I guess I'm better off having my brain
> > verified as working properly and the truck needing work, rather than
> > the engine being undersized and my brain needing work.  The truck has
> > got to be cheaper to work on.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Good luck.  I highly recommend checking the timing.  Maybe retard it a
> little by ear and see what happens driving if a timing light doesn't show
> anything odd.
>
> As far as the dash pad, I forwarded your response and asked him.  We'll see
> if he has one you can use.
>
> Thanks for the RHD p/s stuff.   I didn't really have a reason to pay as much
> attention at the time and had completely forgotten that post.  All I
> remembered was a corvette box that required installing the box where it
> poked out of the body.

There's also a Travelall box that works.  But it has the reverse
rotation so it has to be mounted forward with the arm sticking out
backwards.  It means drilling new holes and sleeving them, but I'm
*guessing* that the stock draglink would work just fine.  I'm not sure
of the exact method it works in, but I do not think the box sticks out
beyond the body.

And no thanks are necessary.  I'm just glad I could help: sometimes I
feel like a leech on this group; it's good to contribute.

Dave