[ihc] Wiper motor rate control, engine question

Has anybody here put in a variable rate control on their electric
windshield wipers?  We've got (stock) "Slow" and "Fast" but I've seen
rate controls that can be added to give it a wider range (like in more
modern vehicles).  The only thing that concerns me is possible wear &
tear on the wiper motor from the constant on-off-on-off.  And how
useful is it?  Not having fine control is annoying while I'm
delivering mail, but doesn't really bother me to or from the route.Any
answers/suggestions/observations/etc. welcome.

Also, (to refresh memories) my current postal rig has a 258 with a
727.  I think I found a fuel leak, so when I get the truck back from
the transmission shop I've got to clamp that off.  Anyways, the engine
is currently leaking oil out of the rear main seal.  And is noisy as
heck.  Since I will be retiring this rig from daily postal use soon,
some changes will need to be made for "normal" driving.  For example,
it strains to get up to 55-60.  Limits down here are usually at least
65, if not 75.  I'm thinking fuel injection and (possibly) headers
might help.

But that's going to cost some money (figure in the cost of fixing the
rear main seal, injection & headers) so my father suggested
considering an engine swap, if it made sense.  Given my current setup,
a Jeep 4.0L would be the easiest swap.  How much more
involved/expensive would it be to drop a Chevy engine in, and what
engines would be viable options (e.g. would a V6 be installable AND a
decent performer)?  I'm not saying I'm going to do this, and I kind of
like my current emissions set-up, but it is food for thought.  I'm
probably going to just sound-proof the engine compartment, to be
perfectly honest, but that'll cost some money, too.  Also, the Power
Steering setup I've got puts the gearbox INSIDE the frame rail, so IHC
V8's are definitely out without altering that, which probably puts it
well beyond the realm of financial justification.  (I almost said
"feasability" or "reason" but much of what we do doesn't relate to
those concepts.)

Thanks,

Dave