Re: [ihc] ...engine question

David Bongo wrote:

DB> Also, (to refresh memories) my current postal rig has a 258 with a
DB> 727.  I think I found a fuel leak, so when I get the truck back from
DB> the transmission shop I've got to clamp that off.  Anyways, the engine
DB> is currently leaking oil out of the rear main seal.  And is noisy as
DB> heck.  Since I will be retiring this rig from daily postal use soon,
DB> some changes will need to be made for "normal" driving.  For example,
DB> it strains to get up to 55-60.  Limits down here are usually at least
DB> 65, if not 75.  I'm thinking fuel injection and (possibly) headers
DB> might help.

Hello Dave

At sea level and in a smaller rig than mine, a decent 258 should have
no problem getting up to 70-75 mph(provided correct gearing).  I'm at
5000 feet with a stock 258 in a Travelall and it will now get up to 65
mph.  I KNOW that I could get more power out if pretty handily.  The
exhaust system is tiny compared to the system behind my BD264.  The
intake is rather small as well when compared to the BD264.  The HEI
ignition is a common ignition upgrade that is often spoken highly of.
I feel that addressing just these three things, all external engine
components, would make a rather noticeable difference in usable power.

But, as we discussed your noisy 258 previously, I'd not be so
comfortable spending money on these things when the engine itself
seems to need attention internally.  Assuming ignition and carburetion
are operating correctly your engine is either very tired or was poorly
rebuilt(I can't remember the specifics) to be struggling to 55-60 at
low altitude.

I'd stick with the 258(rebuild or swap) or do the 4.0.  These are both
good engines and are sized well for the vehicle so I would not be
anxious to swap to some other engine type(v6,v8).   258s seem to be
cheap engine to get with low miles on them as lots of folks swap them
out in favor of v8(which I am considering for my TA but the hills
around here and the weight of the TA are a bit too much for the 258 as
is).

Ken