Re: Re[2]: [ihc] ...engine question

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:41:18 -0700, ken.dunnington
<ken.dunnington@domain.elided> wrote:
<cut>

> Dave
>
> As to the dieseling, the 258 I'm dealing with was acquired after the
> list discussion of your dieseling 258.  When I picked up this
> Travelall it was running but had many things not right and these all
> conspired to leave it in a poor state of tune.  I was able to tweak a
> few things on the road while driving it back from Montana but I've
> been chasing little things ever since.
>
> I found that my carb has is an "ignition on" solenoid that the
> hot idle screw rests on.  This is where you set the idle.  However,
> there is also the cold start cam(choke part) and then a third stop
> which really is only there for if the solenoid fails.(?)  The manual
> has the process to adjust.  Initially I found this point for idle
> adjust and used it to set the hot idle.  This was a mistake as the
> engine would then diesel upon shutdown.  I figured out why.  The hot
> solenoid de-energizes with the shutdown of the ignition.  This drops
> the resting point of the idle adjuster away, thus reducing idle to the
> aforementioned third idle adjuster.  This is adjusted so that the
> engine will barely or not at all idle.  This means that when I turn
> off the ignition, the carb actually steps down the idle position to a
> point that almost completely closes down the butterfly valve, thus
> starving the engine of fuel with which to diesel(too high idle setting
> is a common cause of dieseling).  With this setup properly(or atleast
> close) I have no dieseling.

I'll have to try messing around with this over the weekend.  The stock
choke has a heat pick up tube.  Which is missing.  So I got my hands
on an electric-assisted choke from a 196 with the same carb and I'm
using that.  Didn't help much, if at all.  I never did the "fabricate
a new tube out of copper tubing" trick, although I probably should.

I'll have the air filter off for when I do the Sea Foam thing, so
it'll be a good time to mess with it all.

Thanks for the tip, and I'll be sure to report back on how it goes.

Dave