Re: [ihc] ...engine question

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 08:29
Subject: Re: [ihc] ...engine question

> I've already got an MSD ignition upgrade.  I haven't checked if it's
> an HEI or not, but I've always assumed it was.  My current exhaust is,
> shall we say, "free flowing" but the exhaust manifold can't be as good
> as headers, which is why I contemplated that.
>
> My tranny is being rebuilt as we speak, so it's also possible, I
> suppose, that something in there was contributing to the reduced
> performance.

Possibly...

As far as exhaust, exhaust leaks can reduce performance too.

> I will take it somewhere to get it looked at, but the engine was
> rebuilt shortly before I bought the rig.  (But so was the tranny, and
> you can see how that turned out....)  The engine diesels so I plan on
> hitting it (again) with Sea Foam, but I'm at a loss as to what else I
> can do.  The carb might be an issue, too, which is another reason I
> considered fuel injection.  The choke, for one thing, probably still
> isn't right.

That sounds to me like symptoms of having the timing too advanced.   Try
retarding the timing and/or running a higher grade of fuel to see if
anything changes.

> > I'd stick with the 258(rebuild or swap) or do the 4.0.  These are both
> > good engines and are sized well for the vehicle so I would not be
> > anxious to swap to some other engine type(v6,v8).   258s seem to be
> > cheap engine to get with low miles on them as lots of folks swap them
> > out in favor of v8(which I am considering for my TA but the hills
> > around here and the weight of the TA are a bit too much for the 258 as
> > is).
> >
> I always thought the 258 was the best option for the Scout and the
> manner in which I use it.  I guess I'm better off having my brain
> verified as working properly and the truck needing work, rather than
> the engine being undersized and my brain needing work.  The truck has
> got to be cheaper to work on.
>
> Dave

Good luck.  I highly recommend checking the timing.  Maybe retard it a
little by ear and see what happens driving if a timing light doesn't show
anything odd.

As far as the dash pad, I forwarded your response and asked him.  We'll see
if he has one you can use.

Thanks for the RHD p/s stuff.   I didn't really have a reason to pay as much
attention at the time and had completely forgotten that post.  All I
remembered was a corvette box that required installing the box where it
poked out of the body.

-Ryan

---