Re: [ihc] Wiper motor rate control, engine question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Nees" <cookiedan@domain.elided>
To: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
Cc: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Steven Stegmann"
<steve.stegmann@domain.elided>; "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>; "ihc
digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 18:15
Subject: Re: [ihc] Wiper motor rate control, engine question

> I can't believe I'm going to post something SUPPORTING Ryan, but; I

AFAIK, you support me more often than not.  How's that for a shocker?  ;)

> spent the last year wiperless in My Scout and had good results with the
> Rain-X Gel. As Ryan said, it does a good job clearing away the rain,
> even going slow, if it is fresh enough. The challenge is applying it
> frequently enough. Also, the key is surface preparation. You must clean
> the window thoroughly before application. The only problem I had was in

I use the liquid spray.   Havn't used the gel, although the girl at the
parts store said that it didn't work as well as the spray for her.   The
spray works great for me, so I wasn't worried.

how often do you have to apply the gel?  If I apply it *right* and don't
skimp at all, I can go a few months at a time with the liquid spray.   It
does start to wear out eventually, but it takes awhile to start and I've
always had plenty of notice to put fresh on.

> a sleety, driving rain I got ice accumulation acrossed the top of the
> windshield that would build DOWN the windshield into the line of sight
> till it finally got to heavy under it's own weight and fly off. I
> couldn't do anything to get rid of the ice without the wipers. Also, the
> other problem was, the State of NJ didn't like my "but, it's got Rain-X
> on it" line at Inspection time when my wipers wouldn't work.

I can see the inspector now... ;)

The "inspection" for the diesel involved the lady looking at the vin plate.
As a 1980 or older vehicle it doesn't need another inspection ever as long
as it remains in GA.

Do you have onboard air?   Some of the more modern airliners use compressed
air jets to clean the windscreens of water...

-Ryan

---