Re: [ihc] 401's

At 11:05 PM 12/6/04, Rocky Lear wrote:

The bolt pattern on ALL of the AMC V-8's is identical to that on the
232/258 AMC I-6's (and, BTW, also identical to that on the later J**p '4
liter' I-6's.

SO---IH could have used whatever bell they used with the AMC 6's in the
light line and/or Scouts. DO NOT know what bell that was, but there should
be a fair number of them out there in Scouts and fleet type pick-em-ups
that were speced out with the base 6 cyl engine.

Interesting point about the engine mount pads on the side of the bell --
but, I would bet that whatever bell IH used in the Scouts with the AMC 6
was IDENTICAL to the one in the pick-ups, and had the provision for the
mounts for the pick-up application. I would also bet that IH did NOT change
the length of the input shaft on the trannies that got mated with the
sixes--or the 401's--as compared to what they used with the SV's. SO--that
means that an IH -- AMC bell would be a lot deeper (reachwise) than any
other AMC bell.

Also--I have no clue about what automatic IH may have mated with the AMC
6's OR 8's --- but would be willing to bet that it was a 727 that did NOT
alter the length of the driveline in the vehicles !! This, I THINK would
mean that there must have been a batch of 727's out there with a rather
unique case--that would mate with an AMC, but have the length of an IH SV
727--which, I believe would be significantly longer than the 727's that
J**p DID use mated with AMC motors for a while----

One interesting point--when ordering an sftermarket torque converter for a
727 in an IH, you need to order one for an AMC application, NOT for
Mopar--as mother Mopar put the ring gear on the converter, while IH and AMC
put it on the flex plate.

Best plan in my little mind would be to sell each available 401 to a J**p
nut -- as they will generally pay enough for one to allow you to buy a good
IC 392 core AND rebuild it !!!! Which sez a LOT about the mentality of J**p
guys !! :-)

Whew !!!

Greg