RE: [ihc] 401's

drilled for a pilot bearing but it would probably
>be smaller than the pilot on an IH manual. I don't see why it could not be
drilled for the larger bearing though. You'd have >to take the crank out and
take it to a good shop to get it done. They are forged steel. Someone else
will have to chime in
>on the bellhousing though. I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same as
a SV bell. I don't think they are. If that is the >case, and you were forced
to use an AMC bell, you'd run into trouble becasue AMC never made a
bellhousing that had mounts on >the sides and there would be fabrication
necessary on hooking the clutch pedal up.

The '73 401 I just crated last night came from a Travelall. It had a
counterbore in the back of the crank that was more than big enough for an IH
pilot bearing. In fact it is prolly bigger than the pilot bearing for an IH
5 speed.

The bell bolt pattern is AMC and not IH. Instead of the bellhousing mounts,
the AMC-in-IH installs used mounts on the side of the engine block with a
'single point' tranny mount.

The clutch setup may explain(in part) why the 401 was 'auto only' in the
'73's, since the '74 changed from linkage to cable actuated clutch. I say
'in part' because there was already a clutch setup for the 232/258.

Jim