[ihc] Re:Snowplow for 79' Scout II

----- Original Message -----
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:53:58 -0700
From: Latham Jenkins <latham@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Snowplow for 79' Scout II

I need a snowplow solution for a 1979 Scout II.  Any recommendations?
Latham,
Build one from scratch and then for the next year you will see one a week for less than $400. That is close to my experience. I bought a Meyers plow and lift pump at an auction during the summer figuring that I would easily find the mounting bracket in a junkyard, online or thru Hemmings. I looked for a year and a half but never found one. Saw a few damaged frames and homebrew welded on designs but nothing that didn't look like it would hurt my Scout II. Eventually I built mounting brackets that are based on the line drawings Meyers faxed me from an installation instruction sheet they had. I attached it to the frame in the same way and at the same places they did.
Of course the summer after I built it, I kept seeing ads where someone bought a Scout II but wanted to get rid of the "looks like it has never been used Meyer/Western/Fischer plow" that came with it. Haven't seen any lately but haven't been looking either. You might run a parts wanted ad on the Binder Bulletin.
I can't tell you how many people have told me that they used to plow with a Scout or Scout II and just can't believe how much that little truck could push. Then they usually mention that the body pretty much disappeared and there aren't too many Scouts around anymore.
At first, the box frame concerned me. It is much easier to design and attach a plow bracket to a C-channel frame because you can basically bolt on to it without being concerned about crushing the frame and you can pretty much torque it down with impunity. At Nats, I've had a few fellows tell me "you're going to rip your frame apart" or "you'll destroy your Scout in two years max." But after four 100+ inch winters, everything is still looking good. Maybe they plow like maniacs or they don't know what they were talking about. Perhaps I've just been lucky. I've can push piles as high as the hood, I keep my speed reasonable and watch out around solid objects. It is absolutely a blast! - but if you plow snow, you already know this.
Good luck finding the parts you need, Mike

"If I ever decide to spend more than my truck's worth to make it worth even less, I know how to do it."
- Cory Farley [AutoWeek Vol. 54 Issue 40, www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100901]