[ihc] Governed carb

At 4:40 PM -0600 12/2/04, Ryan Moore wrote:
 > PS  Just got a new 2bbl carb (350cfm) for the B184, the old one needed a
rebuild and was governed, not I should be able to break past the 3000rpm
barrier on occasion.  :-)

Don't you have to swap the dizzy too?
What are you planning on doing to the governor setup then?
-Ryan
It would be nice to replace the dizzy, but I'm already splurging to put on the new carb.
(The joy from how my IH runs with a new carb is worth every penny, my success at rebuilding 40+ y.o. carbs is limited at best, and my studio apartment wouldn't smell very good for a long time...)

The governor works from the distributor to the carb, that is, action in the dizzy controls the carb. (It's more complicated routing, but that's the effect.) Weights in the dizzy spin out and affect airflow through a circuit which runs carb-dist-carb. As the dizzy speeds up to a preset speed, it effectively cuts back fuel flow.

So if I just plug the lines into and out of the dizzy to keep dirt out, and cut away the rest with the old carb, I _think_ I'm going to be just fine, and the new owner can decide to replace the dizzy.

All this is based on a quick read of the service manual, which only shows the Delco model, not the Holley which I believe I have. But I can't imagine it's very different.

My best,
Joel

--
Selling my c.1900 country home. Visit my web site for details!!!!
Joel Furtek QuarryHaven