From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
spamaddy@domain.elided
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 7:09 PM
To: ihc@domain.elided
Subject: RE: [ihc] alternators

I'm using 2 different meters.  One is a cheapo radio shack digital
multimeter and the other is an analog multimeter where I'm using the
ohmmeter function.  From looking at the alternator diagram in the book (I'm
not an idiot, but I'm not an electronics expert either), the diodes should
allow juice to flow out from the battery terminal into the system.  However,
it seems to be going the opposite direction (unless I AM an idiot).

Right now the alt is not installed, it's just wired up and sitting on its
mounting bracket, so the case is grounded by contact with the bracket.  All
the accessories are off and there's no cab light or radio feed (hot wires
that would usually draw current even when the ignition is off).  If I wire a
light between the positive battery cable and the positive post on the
battery it lights up bright.

If I insulate the case of the alternator (put a towel under it as it sits on
the bracket) and leave everything else the same, when I hookup the test
light again it doesn't light up.  So there's no current draw right?
Everything will still work when turned on, lights, tail lights, and the
starter will turn over (as it should).

So, based on these conditions it would appear to me that there is a short in
the alternator that is allowing the positive feed from the battery (as
connected from the battery terminal, to the starter, to where the ammeter
would be, to the alternator battery terminal) to ground out and draw
current.  Does this make sense?

Ryan, I am confused by what you're suggesting with a test light.  Ugg, this
is confusing.