Re: [ihc] Engine ID by pic

At 4:25 PM -0800 12/2/04, John Hofstetter wrote:
On Dec 2, 2004, at 3:23 PM, Jim Grammer wrote:
Yup, 401. I just sold 2 of 'em :)
Jim
I didn't realize that IH was using AMC engines as late as 74. That wasn't one of the options on my 72 1210, at least I don't think it was. Got a little history in this regard for us, Jim.
John
No less a source than Crismon mentions it in both 1973 and 1974.
Anecdotally, I can recall seeing it in a number of travelalls (including a non-runner I owned) and in two 1/2-ton pickups.

Some of you may remember I have a hankerin' to own one someday, and to have the money/time/skill to really give it a good working over with all the go-fast goodies I've read about since my youth. I'm nowhere near there yet, but I do fear that the rest of the world, mostly Jeepers, AMC buffs, and the hot rod community at large, will realize that there are a fair number of these engines out there in our Binders and I won't be able to find one when I can afford it! I'd rrreally like a Travelall with it, but if this truck doesn't sell and the guy gets negotiable, maybe it's worth storing it for a while.

Ryan, is your buddy up for a haul from Nashville?

Best,
Joel

--
Selling my c.1900 country home. Visit my web site for details!!!!
Joel Furtek QuarryHaven