Re: Re[2]: [ihc] alternators

On Dec 2, 2004, at 6:36 PM, ken.dunnington wrote:

Ryan Moore wrote:

RM> I suggest taking the thing back out and having the parts store test it.

Though this can result in false info as well. I once installed a top
of the line Delco on a S10. It immediately heated up upon running and
made unnatural noise. I took it back to the parts store where I had
purchased it(Western Auto). It tested good on their bench tester. I
then took it to an auto electric shop and they immediately told me it
had a bad diode. Armed with this I got a replacement from the parts
store and all was good again with the S10.

So, short story: top level rebuild from Delco, bad out of the box yet
tested good at the parts store.

Ken
I have even more trouble with parts houses testing of starters. Solenoids like the ones on our IH Delco starters will often send enough current to the starter to spin it when there is no load.

Most recent bad testing was on a Toyota pickup starter which tested fine at the shop, but when I disassembled the solenoid the big copper washers were all burnt and pitted.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs