RE: [ihc] D series spare tire cover

Mike, my 1210 has both a frame mounted hitch and an underside spare. The
spare appears on the line set, so was 'factory' original, no doubt triggered
by the tire size selection(also on the line set). The hitch was a
dealer-ordered install, and was 'worked around' the existing spare. OTOH, if
you were ordering a 'tow package' 1000/1010, you got that bitchin' Reese
hitch with the square tube extension to the frame x-member under the middle
of the cargo floor. No underneath spare really possible with that hitch, but
how likely was a 1000/1010 to mount tires bigger than the interior spare
well?

Given the marketing push that positioned the 1000/1010 against other full
sized 'car' station wagons, the veritable plethora of 1000/1010's out there
with the tow package(and 392's) makes sense. For stuff like my 1210, I
expect that dealer discretion was more involved. Pretty obviously a special
order, it has 12 x 3 front brakes, 1 ton rear springs(8200# GVW)and a 392.
Before delivery, the dealer added the hitch, big rig mud flaps, and swivel
out towing mirrors. Somebody wasn't shy about shelling out $bux$ to tow
their Airstream/Silver Streak/Streamline back in the day.

Now if someone can explain the line set callout 'Eugene O'Neill', this T-all
will have revealed it's final mystery.

Jim