RE: [ihc] D series spare tire cover

## >> Mike, my 1210 has both a frame mounted hitch and an underside
## >> spare. The
## >> spare appears on the line set, so was 'factory' original, no
## >> doubt triggered
## >> by the tire size selection(also on the line set). The hitch was a
## >> dealer-ordered install, and was 'worked around' the existing
## >> spare. OTOH, if
## >> you were ordering a 'tow package' 1000/1010, you got that
## >> bitchin' Reese
## >> hitch with the square tube extension to the frame x-member
## >> under the middle
## >> of the cargo floor. No underneath spare really possible with
## >> that hitch, but
## >> how likely was a 1000/1010 to mount tires bigger than the
## >> interior spare
## >> well?

these details are not limited only to the 1000/1010, as my 1110 lineset
demonstrates.

my 1010 has the 392, 727, factory tow package, and that Reese-type hitch you
mentioned (you're right, that receiver is pretty bitchin').  our 1110 *also*
has the 392, 727, factory tow package, and the same Reese receiver.
according to both linesets, this is all factory-installed equipment.  the
1110 also has a step bumper with a couple ball hitch mounting points (it's
not on the lineset, i don't know where it came from), and it came to us with
an enormous drop-hitch for the receiver.  i have a hitch for the 1010's
receiver, but i don't remember what kind it is.  both have trailer brake
controls, the 1110 has a Tekonsha Commander XP electronic and the 1010 has a
Kelsey-Hayes mechanical.  the 1010 *also* has that odd hydraulic trailer
brake line and connector under the rear which we've previously discussed in
earlier years, which is plumbed to the KH brake control inside the cab.  i
don't know who put that trailer brake line in, but it's not on the lineset
so i'm positive it's not factory-installed, and probably not
dealer-installed either.  if anybody wants pictures of one of these factory
receivers, i can get 'em and send 'em out with very little trouble.

additionally, the 1010 sports 31x10.50 tires on 5-lug 15x8 wagon wheels, and
there's a matched spare inside the spare compartment.  no problem fitting it
in there or closing the cover on it.  i have no idea if that tire size is
original to the truck (lineset says H78x15 4ply LR-D PC WSW and H78x15 4p
LR-D PS WSW SP, whatever H78 is, which is what the 1110's lineset also
shows), but the speedometer is accurately calibrated for what it has now.
however, the 1110 has 1210 springs and axles, and is currently wearing
33"x12.50 tires on 16.5" 8-lug Mag wheels, for which the speedometer is off
by 25% at 60mph (reads 45 when the truck is doing 60).  the spare inside is
an 8.00R16.5 LT, i don't know what the actual diameter is, but it fits in
the spare compartment with no trouble.  it might be possible to fit a tire
larger than that in the compartment, but if so i think it'd be a tight
squeeze, and good luck getting it back out again.  i don't know if my spare
is the original 1210 spare or not, but it sure looks like one of the stock
steel wheels that might have come with a 1210.

i don't know how likely a 1010 or 1000 might have been to come with
something bigger than what could fit in the interior spare compartment,
but...  i also can't imagine seeing one with tires smaller than 31x10.50.
my 1010 looks just about perfect with that tire size, anything smaller and
it'd look more like a refrigerator on casters than a truck on wheels.  the
front has room for bigger tires, but the rear tires are tucked so far up
inside the wheel wells that anything bigger than 31" would probably rub.  at
stock height the 1010 is pretty low to the ground even with the 31" tires on
it...  how low would it be with something smaller?  when i had the front end
rebuilt on it, i had 'em crank the torsion bars to their max height and it
still looks like it'll rake the undercarriage on a speedbump.  according to
the lineset, it's got the HD front springs, which would be the beefed-up
torsion bars.  still pretty soft, in my opinion, but not *too* soft.
handled really really well.  i *really* liked driving that truck.  cushiest
ride i've ever had, and boy would that puppie get up and *RUN* when you
wanted it to.  it always felt nice and stable at any speed, very
comfortable.  i miss it.

as i mentioned earlier, both linesets show the spare included, along with
the tow package and tire size, 61-amp alternator, dual exhaust, aux tranny
cooler, air conditioning, extra capacity battery, and aux fuel tank.  they
also both show 15x550K disc wheels, though neither truck today still has the
original wheels.  discounting the all wheel drive equipment of the 1110, the
two had an almost identical configuration when new, differing only in
exterior trim package (deluxe for 1110, custom for 1010) and colour choices
(both have the custom interior).  the only differences besides colour/trim
are that the 1110 has the factory rear speaker and the 1010 does not, plus
while both had the rear D44, the 1110 had a limited slip diff (RA28 SR Axle
Trac-Loc 3.73) where the 1010 has an open diff (RA18 SGL Axle 3.73).

because both TravelAlls have that factory hitch receiver, there's no
practical way to put a spare underneath the cargo deck.  i keep my spare 33"
tire in the roof rack for the 1110, i really don't think it'll fit in the
spare compartment though i've never tried.  it's more than four inches wider
than what's in there now (12.50" versus 8.00"), i'm pretty sure it won't
fit, and i don't mind having two spares.  with the 1010 being so close to
the ground like it is, if the spare were underneath i don't think i'd like
it very much trying to get at it if i needed it or had to put it back.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton