RE: [ihc] A question...

## >> Just one, Hmmm...........
## >>
## >> If kids are in the mix, Travelall, Travelette, or Wagonmaster.

i second this notion.  even without kids...  if you have lots of friends, or
like going on group outings, or just like the ability to haul extra folks
around (or extra gear) with the capability to lock it all up, the TravelAll
is the only way to fly.  it tows fairly well, too, which is a decent bonus.
i'm more than content with our current 1110 TravelAll.

## >> I have some very fond memories of bombing around in the '73 1010
## >> Travelall with the kids.  They can be made to be quiet and comfortable
## >> and good off road (I hear).  Lots of metal to be seen inside,
## >> makes you
## >> feel protected.  My vote for comfort, versatility, practicality, and
## >> retro-cool factor would be a 4X4 3/4T Travelall.  Pick a style and set
## >> it up how you want.  I'm partial to D series, but I've never owned any
## >> of the older ones.  I'm sure I could fall in love with them too.

i've never owned a TravleAll other than a '72.  of those i have two, a 1010
and the 1110 with 1210 springs and axles.  both have 392 and 727, the 1110
is 4x4.  i don't care for the '60s body style nearly as much as i like the
final D series, which i also don't have as great an affinity for as i do the
B series, of which i have the two trucks but no TravelAlls.  given a choice
of only one, i'd say either a B series 4x4 TravelAll or a D series 4x4
TravelAll.  definitely a TravelAll, though.

it's funny, my fond old memories are of bombing around in the old B122.  my
dad and mom would load up in the front, throw sleeping bags and coolers and
gear in the bed with us kids and the dog, and we'd just take off for a
weekend.  dad would point the nose of that old truck in a random direction,
we'd drive half a day, and where-ever we ended up, that's where we stayed
for the night.  sometimes we'd only go for a day, in which case we'd just
drive for a couple hours, stop and see the sights or explore or whatever,
then pack it up and head home around sundown.  Ed is right, though, those D
series TravelAlls can be made to be *very* quiet.  my 1010 has an extremely
quiet exhaust and the interior is really well insulated.  that one was a
dream to drive, and it handled really well.  oddity of oddities, you could
even hear the radio at low volume over the driving noise!  (what driving
noise?  the 1010 is *quiet!*).

## >> There is a lot to be said for going topless and doorless in an 800.

of course, there is that.  i wouldn't want to give up our 800A either.
being able to take the top off, or switch to a soft top, cab top, whatever
my fancy is at the moment, is very appealing.  plus it's not very big and
can go lots of fun places on and off road.  and it's very easy to tow.

## >> I honestly don't believe I could limit myself to just one.  If I could
## >> only keep one of my current ones, it would be the 800, but I
## >> don't own a
## >> 3/4T Travelall either.

i do not believe that *I* could limit myself to just one, either.
fortunately i do not have to, just as most of the rest of us don't.  if i
had to have only one, i think i'd have to bump it up to two anyway, a
TravelAll and an 800/A/B to tow around for fun.  the TravelAll is very
capable offroad, at least ours has been, but i don't think i'd want it as my
dedicated offroader or fun rig.  it's just too big and heavy to be
practical.  if i had to absolutely choose only one of my current trucks, i
think they'd have to shoot me to put me out of my misery, i just don't think
i could make the decision.

Becca would probably decide to keep the B182 above all the rest...  but
then, she wants a CXT, too.  i have the sneaking suspicion that i'm not
going to get to drive the big B very much once it's here.  and you watch,
she'll start pushing for an all-wheel-drive conversion, down the road.  i
think i've created a monster that cannot be appeased.

brain fart--the CXT has air brakes.  i wonder if that front axle would work
under the big B.  or how much work would be required to adapt it to the B's
air system.  or perhaps a similar air-braked front drive axle from something
else.  hrmmmmmmmm...  time to start investigating.  impractical, but fun to
think about.  +)

while i'm thinking about it, the Crismon book shows a "sleeper" cab
extension for the A series.  it's a factory conversion, at least that's what
the book says.  it looks really neat, and it fits in well with the body
style.  i'm wondering what it would take to do something like that to the
B182.  would be far more practical than an all-wheel-drive conversion, and
might even be less costly (instant kid travel accomodations!).  anybody have
any experience with this kind of stuff?

the usual nickel and grain of salt, you know the drill.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.