Re: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

On Sep 23, 2004, at 9:44 AM, Urvig, Chad A wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant....it's a parking brake, not a driving brake
:) Yes, I can over come it with the 8.2L in my bus, but I have also
driven my Scout with the e-brake on and not noticed right away. I think
in something smaller than a 28,000 lb bus it should be a pretty
effective parking brake (as long as you are not trying to drive with it
on). Something like that would be nice to have on my Scout....my
e-brakes have never worked that well, especially after going through
mud.

Chad
I had an interesting parking brake incident this morning. In fact that whole damn morning was more interesting than I needed.

Earlier this morning, I loaded my propane tanks into the Terra which needed some miles to check out my tranny fluid change, the coolant fluid change, the bright lights kit, the MAD diode addition on the alternator, and went "up the hill" to get the tanks filled. Got up there OK, but sitting in front of the propane filling station, the Scout wouldn't start. Looked at the fuel pressure gauge and it said 0. So, sitting there interfering with their business, I get under the Scout and change out the Holley fuel pump. Only trouble is that I got down OK, under OK, but getting back up was proving next to impossible. Coarse sand on black top was letting my feet slip out from under me as I tried to get some leverage to get up. Finally took off my sweat shirt and swept an area large enough to get enough traction to get back up. New pump worked great, so came home to check fluid levels.

I'm up on my nearly level apron in front of my shop and following accepted protocol, I run the tranny through all the gears, put it into N, put on the parking brake, and get up on my milk carton to check the tranny fluid level. I, of all the people who have ever driven a truck ought to know how worthless our parking brakes are in keeping our trucks from rolling backwards. So, I'm up on the milk carton, leaning over trying to get that damn dip stick back into its hole, and I feel something moving. The Scout is backing down the hill with me soon holding on to the heater stub with one hand and my other hand dragging the concrete trying to stop the truck, scared to let go because of maybe being pulled under the front wheel. Wanda, who had come out to ask me a question is screaming in her most helpful way, but fortunately for me a friend of my son was there in the yard and ran and put on the brake. I was fine except the skin on my fingers of the concrete dragging hand is pretty much gone. A lot of blood but not much real damage.

Who knows better than I that Scout parking brakes are useless, especially on backwards grades? No one, but knowing it best still doesn't count for too much when it comes to being stupid.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs