Re: [ihc] About those brakes

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Steven Stegmann" <steve.stegmann@domain.elided>
Cc: "Urvig, Chad A" <chad.urvig@domain.elided>; <ihc-digest@domain.elided>;
"Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Allan Ericson" <lowvolt@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 17:53
Subject: [ihc] About those brakes

> On Sep 23, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Steven Stegmann wrote:
>
> > Scouts have emergency brakes?????  I didn't know that.
> >  Mine has a pedal but it has no discernable effect in
> > reverse, just a tad in forward.
>
> To add one more tidbit to the story I just told about my morning, I
> HAVE a MicoLock brake device on my front disks, and when that sucker is
> locked, it is really locked.
>
> But I remember distinctly that the manual says "Set the parking brake".
>   <g>
>
> John

A tidbit about that type of parking brake.

Many airplanes have a setup like that for parking brakes.

It's become standard accepted teaching and practice to *not* leave the
brakes of that type applied for any length of time.  This is because you
have pressure in your brake system.  As temperature changes, the fluid in
that system will expand.  If you have pressure applied already, it will
build further.  This can actually lead to rupturing the seals of your
calipers or other brake hardware.  One, this causes the parking brake to
fail.  Two, it also means a complete lack of brakes for the aircraft (not
that you'd fly an aircraft with any brake problems anyway).

Before anyone gives me a rant about how unlikely it is, it's happened with
aircraft, which have used both this type of system, and disc brakes for a
long time.  It's just something to ponder.

When we park our aircraft, we try to avoid using the parking brake,  we'll
use wheel chocks instead if it's for a short time (tie downs if it's going
to be for a while).

Of course, cars don't usually sit as long at a time as an airplane can, so
the extent of temperature changes may not be as bad...

Thanks,
Ryan

---