Re: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

----- Original Message -----
From: <DeepSouthScouts@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 05:16
Subject: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

> =From: Ted Borck <tborck@domain.elided>
> =Subject: Reply: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?
>
> =Ryan Moore wrote:
>
> =>What is the max sustained winds I should be willing to drive the diesel
in?

> =Ryan:
>
> =If the sustained winds are above 30 MPH - stay home it just ain't worth
> =it. As you well know, the traveller is a vehicle with the aerodynamics of
> =a small barn.
>
> =But the rule of thumb - the faster the winds - the slower you drive,
> =especially on wet roads.
>

> =Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided
>
> Ryan,
> As a multi storm veteran, and a lifetime on/off resident of the Gulf Coast
> (born here, left, came back), I have to agree with Ted. Around 30 MPH or
> above sustained winds, the likelyhood of ending up off the road increases
> substantially on a wet/muddy surface. This is compounded in heavy rain
> by ponding of water on roadways and runoff from earthen areas bring mud
> onto the road surface. This is a frequent problem in this neck of the
woods
> during one of our tropical storms anyway. There is also the more than
> occasional tree
> down across the road that cant be seen due to driving rain.

Agreed.  Mud isn't so much of a problem on the road surface in this area
though for the most part.

> One of the most dangerous things to watch for is the other motorist who
> has no clue how to drive in rain and will lose control and cause a
collision.

Gotta love those ones...

> You may be fine to drive in a certain wind speed, but its the unexpected
> tree/
> puddle/mudslide/other vehicle that will certainly cause problems at any
> speed.
> Take care.

Affirmative, I figure if it is bad weather that driving speed will have to
be slow enough to account for that.

> P.S. Looks like Ivan is taking aim close to me. :~(

Was just looking at the storm track...  they also updated their prediction
on where it'll be again, if it keeps at this rate it won't be here until
after I got into GA anyway.  The question then is do I go to help my folks
with any initial cleanup or cancel because the thing I was going to go to
won't happen in the middle of the storm.

> Mike Toney
> Mobile, AL.
> Southern International Harvester Owners [S.I.H.O.]
> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/southernihowners
> 72 Scout II, 4x4, 304, T18, 3:31
> 73 1010 Travelall, 2wd, 345, 727, 3:54
> Scout 800, 4x4, 152, 3 speed, D20, D44s, 32s, (under construction)
> Scout 80, 2x4, 196, 727, SII D44 rear, SII disc front, (under
construction)
> Scout 800, 4x4, 3 speed, D18, (parts truck)
> http://www.myinternationaltrucks.iwarp.com/

Do you have the 2wd scout II front end for the 80 project?  I know where
there is one if you don't.

BTW, Ivan is still updating at Cat 5 with 160mph sustained winds, now moving
WNW at 9mph.  Apparently the waters are nice and toasty around cuba so it
could further strengthen after it passes cuba...

-Ryan

P.S.
Who was it asking me about the Cub Cadet lawn tractor near my folks' place
in GA?  I can't find the e-mail message...

---