[ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

=From: Ted Borck <tborck@domain.elided>
=Subject: Reply: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

=Ryan Moore wrote:

=>What is the max sustained winds I should be willing to drive the diesel in?

=Ryan:

=If the sustained winds are above 30 MPH - stay home it just ain't worth
=it. As you well know, the traveller is a vehicle with the aerodynamics of
=a small barn.

=But the rule of thumb - the faster the winds - the slower you drive,
=especially on wet roads.

=Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided

Ryan,
As a multi storm veteran, and a lifetime on/off resident of the Gulf Coast
(born here, left, came back), I have to agree with Ted. Around 30 MPH or
above sustained winds, the likelyhood of ending up off the road increases
substantially on a wet/muddy surface. This is compounded in heavy rain
by ponding of water on roadways and runoff from earthen areas bring mud
onto the road surface. This is a frequent problem in this neck of the woods
during one of our tropical storms anyway. There is also the more than
occasional tree
down across the road that cant be seen due to driving rain.

One of the most dangerous things to watch for is the other motorist who
has no clue how to drive in rain and will lose control and cause a collision.

You may be fine to drive in a certain wind speed, but its the unexpected
tree/
puddle/mudslide/other vehicle that will certainly cause problems at any
speed.
Take care.

P.S. Looks like Ivan is taking aim close to me. :~(

Mike Toney
Mobile, AL.
Southern International Harvester Owners [S.I.H.O.]
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/southernihowners
72 Scout II, 4x4, 304, T18, 3:31
73 1010 Travelall, 2wd, 345, 727, 3:54
Scout 800, 4x4, 152, 3 speed, D20, D44s, 32s, (under construction)
Scout 80, 2x4, 196, 727, SII D44 rear, SII disc front, (under construction)
Scout 800, 4x4, 3 speed, D18, (parts truck)
http://www.myinternationaltrucks.iwarp.com/