Re: [ihc] RE: David's decarbonisation

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:58:39 -0700, John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided> wrote:

<cut>

> You should know that I used to buy Splitfire spark plugs, so that you
> have a perspective on my gullibility. Having confessed that, let me
> tell you that I use Techron in my two gas powered vehicles to help keep
> things clean. This is a Chevron product that comes in a bottle that is
> poured into the gas tank. My son used to be the mechanic in a Chevron
> station and he said that before Techron was being sold by everybody,
> that car dealers from that part of Sacramento came in to buy the
> Techron by the case. He thinks that nothing else comes close in keeping
> valves and combustion chambers clean. FWIW.

I go to Shell stations (Have the Shell credit card with 5% rebates)
but they have "V-Power" or something like that as a cleaning agent.
Is it all the same stuff (in re. "before Techron was being sold by
everybody.") or do the various companies actually use different
additives?  I don't mind buying and using it, but if it's the same
thing as in Shell what's the point in adding it?

Thanks.

Dave