Re: [ihc] RE: David's decarbonisation

On Aug 20, 2004, at 8:15 PM, David Bongo wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:28:37 -0700 (PDT), Steven Stegmann
<steve.stegmann@domain.elided> wrote:
The combustion chamber deposits can cause hot spots
that are actually glowing.  When a fresh charge comes
into the cylinder, this ignites it ahead of time,
usually shows up as pinging.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to check for that without
disassemling the whole engine? It sounds to me that most (if not all)
of the people on list feel that I have piston slap.  SOMETHING is
causing the dieseling, and that COULD lead to pinging.  If the
ATF/Mineral Spirits trick doesn't work, would anything else work for
cleaning it?  Also, should I pour the stuff down the carb when the
engine is hot or cold or it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Dave
Yes, there are fiber optic scopes with which mechanics can go in through the spark plug hole and look around the combustion chamber. Not every back yard mechanic has one of these, but your physician probably does.

If you have carbon deposits, the ATF/mineral spirits will pretty much remove them at least temporarily. Poor it down the carb with the engine hot. You want the carbon glowing red when the ATF reaches it.

You should know that I used to buy Splitfire spark plugs, so that you have a perspective on my gullibility. Having confessed that, let me tell you that I use Techron in my two gas powered vehicles to help keep things clean. This is a Chevron product that comes in a bottle that is poured into the gas tank. My son used to be the mechanic in a Chevron station and he said that before Techron was being sold by everybody, that car dealers from that part of Sacramento came in to buy the Techron by the case. He thinks that nothing else comes close in keeping valves and combustion chambers clean. FWIW.

Costco and Wal-Mart sell the Techron under the Pro-Guard label or something close to that name.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs