[ihc] Knurling

On Aug 19, 2004, at 6:13 AM, Ryan Moore wrote:

I thought one of you "more experienced" types would realize this, but
still... no one has explained what it means to "knurl" a piston. Thus,
those of us who are not as experienced may have no clue what you people are
talking abotu.

-Ryan
Following up on Jim A's very good explanation, if you looked at a knurled piston the skirts would be covered with raised sharp protuberances, much like the handle on a tool might have. Maglite flashlights have a lot of knurling on them,I suppose to enable law enforcement to identify what officer's flashlight put the knurling marks on the bad guy's head. The knurling tool itself, consists of a couple of rollers with teeth on them that impress the metal-to-be-knurled with its design.

I've done a lot of knurling on my lathe, but I BELIEVE that the Perfect Circle System used a special machine to do the knurling. I ASSUME that it was a lathe, but specialized for that purpose, much as is a brake lathe.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs