Re: [ihc] Octane selection

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:21:07 -0700, John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided> wrote:
> Actually, David, the engine is more likely to ping when it's
> accelerating.
>
> John

I mis-typed that.  It's been a bad few days.  With no postal work done
on Saturday, today was nearly double a normal day's work.  Not to
mention the weekend.  I'm tired.  Let me try again:

The truck runs loud, (258 I-6) but more so at slow speeds.  While the
noise doesn't ever go away, it lessens when accelerating.  Which, as I
understand it, is the opposite of pinging.  I've had my mechanic
listen to it idling (and he has test driven it numerous times) and he
wasn't concerned.  Doesn't mean I'll stop watching it, though.  Like I
said, when the 800 is in my hands I'll be able to afford to take the
time and money to more fully look at things.  (Trust me - After using
a Scout, reverting to a Cherokee is torture.  From that perspective, I
can barely afford the down time associated with getting work done on
the Scout.)  Until then, I'll emply the oldest rural carrier trick in
the book: just turn up the radio.

Dave