Re: [ihc] Octane selection

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Steven Stegmann
<steve.stegmann@domain.elided> wrote:
> David,
>
> When it comes to the exhaust system, octane won't have
> any material effect on system life.  Don't even think
> about that.
>
> If it saves you money on fuel mileage do it.

That's what I thought.  Thanks.

<cut>
> Mild detonation is not good for an engine.  It's not
> as bad as the "ping" that you hear but it ain't
> helping anything.

My rig sounds like a diesel truck.  Lots of customers (and family
members) have commented on it.  I've kind of chalked it up to an
exhaust leak but that's never completely convinced me.  I don't think
it's a "ping" and it does NOT go away when I accelerate.  I plan on
investigating injecting the engine when Fleck gets my Postal 800 done
and out to me.  (Which means I can sell my Cherokee and pay for
improvements on the Scout II.)  I've been wimping out on Hofs'
suggestion from a year ago of pouring a cup of ATF down the carb to
clean out the cylinders.  Just seems....wrong.  Maybe not
mechanically, but morally.

Dave