Re: [ihc] Octane selection

David,

When it comes to the exhaust system, octane won't have
any material effect on system life.  Don't even think
about that.

If it saves you money on fuel mileage do it.

BTW dieseling can be hard on an engine, if the premium
stops the dieseling, I would use it for that reason
alone.  If you have dieseling, you probably have some
hidden detonation also.

Dieseling won't happen unless there is some "hot spot"
in the engine to ignite the last bit of fuel the carb
dumps in.  With a carb, unlike a fuel injection
system, you can't cut off the fuel, only the ignition.
 If there's still something hot in the engine, it can
diesel because it will get fuel as long as it is
turning.

Mild detonation is not good for an engine.  It's not
as bad as the "ping" that you hear but it ain't
helping anything.

Steve