Re: [ihc] Octane selection

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, David Bongo wrote:

> On an off-topic note, can anybody give me any advice on home
> electricity generators?  We lost power for almost 17 hours due to
> Hurricane Charley.  Fortunately, the refrigerated and frozen foods
> held up OK for the most part, but we're finally considering taking the
> plunge.  Propane or gasoline are options, and it's not like we need
> full power to the whole house.  Just refrigerators, mainly.  A few
> lights, too.  A/C, TVs, hot water heater, etc would be nice, but not
> really required.

We'll be out probably until late in the week.  Since the need was there I
just got what was available (from out of town), which is a 5kw gasoline.
Gives me 20 amps of 220 to work with.

It's temporarily wired into the house (no worry about backfed power since
the lugs were ripped out of our meter box.....;) and easily handles the
well, attic fan, and lights.

When the well pump is at peak draw, with the attic fan on high, it just
hits 20 amps for a moment..then the well pump shuts off.

I shut the well off for a few hours and ran the hot water heater, then
swapped back around for showers.

All in all the 5kw works ok for us.  The power isn't very clean, but it
/is/ charging the UPSes (off and on...they kick out to battery every few
minutes, then back to line...)

Since the cable is out, too, though, there isn't much need for the
computers. ;)  DON'T try running the computers directly off of the
gen....these cheap consumer units are /dirty/!!

As far as gas vs propane...hard call.  You'll get more kw/h out of x
amount of gas then you will propane...You have to store more propane then
you would gas.  And gas is easier to find/fill often times.

Diesel will get you more power then gas, though, for the same x...but
consumer grade diesel units are probably harder to find.  (I usually keep
more diesel around then gas, since the tractor's diesel..)

...david

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html