Re: [ihc] Octane selection

> On an off-topic note, can anybody give me any advice on home
> electricity generators?  We lost power for almost 17 hours due to
> Hurricane Charley.  Fortunately, the refrigerated and frozen foods
> held up OK for the most part, but we're finally considering taking the
> plunge.  Propane or gasoline are options, and it's not like we need
> full power to the whole house.  Just refrigerators, mainly.  A few
> lights, too.  A/C, TVs, hot water heater, etc would be nice, but not
> really required.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave

Which ever type of generator you get, you have to run it regularly for 15-20
minutes or so.
Propane and diesel can sit for longer periods of time, but you should still
start them occasionally to keep them lubed up.
A 5000 watt generator will be adequate for everything but the water heater,
electric stove and oven, electric dryer, or central air/heat. A 6000 watt
generator will handle those larger items, but very little else. Get the 6500
watt generator or more and use your head. It doesn't cost much more, but hot
water is important.
Be safe. I have chosen to put a plug into a 60 amp breaker and back feed
into the electrical service. It is imperative that I turn off the main
breaker before I plug in the generator, and unplug the generator before
turning on the main breaker. To do otherwise could be fatal. The best way is
to isolate the feeds so that only one can be on at a time. A simple dual
feed is adequate, but it costs a few hundred dollars to have an electrician
do it properly. I strongly recommend this route, though.