Re: [ihc] Generator selection

On Aug 16, 2004, at 6:00 PM, David Bongo wrote:

Diesel's easy enough to get (I live near both US1 and I-95) but I have
no other use for it.  Hence my leaning towards gasoline or propane.

Dave

Steve is my buddy, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with him. His wife is also his buddy, and Lord knows she doesn't always agree with him. <g>

An engine fired with propane can sit for months on end and should fire right up. The engine will last longer, all other things being equal, because there is no gas taking the lubrication off the cylinder walls and diluting the oil.

I'm glad for him that Steve's gas doesn't go bad, most (I think) of the rest of us fight gas going bad. Propane is the same 5 years from now as when it went into the tank. Because propane comes off the top of the tank, water from condensation is a non-factor whereas a gas tank "gathers" water.

I had a friend whose father lived off a rural road, but had a long time feud with the power company. He generated all his power with a propane powered 4 cylinder in-line engine. Might have been a Buda engine. He must have had it for 40 years that I know of, and it was running when the old man died.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs