Re: [ihc] Cancer has struck

On Aug 16, 2004, at 2:29 PM, John Fleck wrote:

The Vet says he could last
2-6 months left untreated. The only option is Kemo thearpy. The cheapest
level is $1500 and the most is $4500. If it guarenteed him living i would
pay it in a heartbeat. I am lost right now..

I'm so sorry about Larp, John.

I have some thoughts that you should consider.

A big dog like Larp has a relatively short life span. Probably 10 years is about it.

You have no assurance that the Chemotherapy will work, and if it does it will take some time. So, you drop $4500 into his treatment and in a year he is lymphoma free. But, he has only a few more years to live regardless.

As you may already know, nobody on Earth loves their dogs more than Wanda and me. But trying to be realistic, I suspect that you need to skip the Chemo, keep Larp as comfortable as possible, and when he can't be kept pain free, be merciful for his sake.

And, I would get a pup right now and start letting Larp train it. When our Yorkie was obviously not too long for this world, we got the black Cairn that we have now, and he and the Yorkie spent a year together before we had to put her down. He's a much better dog because of what he learned from her. And we feel that when we love him, we are also loving her.

FWIW

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline