Re: [ihc]knurling pistons was: David's "diesel" 258

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
To: "Jim or Ginger Aos" <jaos@domain.elided>; "John Hofstetter"
<hofs@domain.elided>; "ken.dunnington" <ken.dunnington@domain.elided>
Cc: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ihc] Re: David's "diesel" 258

Think about the action of a chisel or a punch impressing a piece of metal.
Part of the chisel point penetrates, and part swells up along the edge.
That results in a larger o.d. in a very small area.
O a piston this was done on the skirts ( that part that helps keep the
piston aligned and resist wear from the fore and aft forces from the
crankshaft).  In stead of using chisels, a roller with sharp teeth was used
with a back and forth motion.  An internal system is / was used for loose
valve guides.  Another form of knurling is the bolts that have rolled
threads.  They also compress the thread area making it denser and stronger
than cut threads, eg. some head bolts, and some steering parts, like tie rod
ends.   Files are made with the impressing precess also, that's why the are
thicker on the cutting area than the rest.    Hope tht helps.
Jim A.