Re: [ihc] Tom's Planned Trans tunnel butchery

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 15:04, Tom Mandera wrote:
> Close.  The slave cylinder *IS* medium-duty stuff, and that's why it
> didn't clear my cable-linkage-designed '74 tunnel.
>
> But the shift tower is just a T-34/35/36 thing.  No "Loadstar vs. Light
> Line" there, though the *shifter* needed customized to accomodate the
> dash of the '74 pickup.
>
> The shift tower is just taller on a T-35 than on a T98/T19, and as near
> as I can tell, the tunnel cover doesn't accomodate it very well in my
> '74 pickup.

Tom, I forgot about the whole 74/75 "engine setback" issue.  I
wonder if the 74/75 trucks with 5 speed have you bashing knuckles
into the dash on the shift into 1st gear like the 72/73?  I would
imagine the lever is bent a bit different due to the different
location of the shift tower relative to the dash/seat.

I think I've stated this before, but that $35 or so I spent on the
parts manual from www.binderbooks.com was really a lifesaver for
my 4x conversion and the 5 speed swap.  Even if your plans are
not totally factory conversion, I still think the savings in
Tylenol/Advil would make a 74/75 parts book worthwhile.  It's
great for identifying what parts were different from the factory.

I hope you make it over to the NW event with the 5 speed and 4x
in your Travelette, I'd sure like to see it.  I hope you are
planning a PTO powered blender for making Margaritas!

Allan W.