[ihc] More Starting Problems!

BTW, this means that I have the diesel back! Yay!

The pyro has finally shipped too...

Ok, I still have a starting problem.

Now, the esteemed Mr. Donnelly has said that Diesels never have problems
with sending a strong enough signal to activate the starter solenoid.

I have a problem sending a strong enough signal to activate the starter
solenoid.

Recap: Brand new Nissan start solenoid, all connections cleaned at solenoid
and battery ends.

Most of the time trying to start it, it chatters, I didn't know this wasn't
normal until I heard it do it right....

When I start it with the key, the solenoid gets enough power to activate the
starter, but when the starter starts to draw power, it stops providing
enough power and disengages, which gives it enough power to re-engage... and
so forth. Although sometimes it doesn't get enough power to fully engage in
the first place.

Now, if I jump the starter terminals, it starts normally, no problems,
plenty of signal to it etc. This tells me that the solenoid and starter are
ok, no? Shouldn't this also mean the battery is plenty strong enough and the
cables are good enough?

Now, what can I do? I liked the idea of a ford solenoid just to move the hot
wires all up out of the way and higher in the engine compartment, but if I
don't need to do it, there's no point. And since I've been told already that
it's never the answer in a diesel...

What is the answer? What can I do to provide the appropriate signal? I need
the thing to *reliably* start! I don't want to risk messing up my starter or
flywheel teeth, and I don't like having to get out and do it from under the
hood all the time either.

Now, I do have a standard scout battery... but it seems that if I can jump
the terminals and it turns it over clean with no problems that must not be
the issue, right?

---