[ihc] Tom's mileage

Tom,
      I happen to have both the vac gauge and the fuel air meter in the
Patriot
(Thanks Landry!) and I typically try to run about 12" of vac, and the mix
is a just a bit richer than middle of the scale.  Anyway, I get about 12mpg
if I stay around 75 mph.  I can do better if I back down to between 60 and
65 mph which
nets about 14mpg.  Well, I figure for the time it takes to go 15mph slower,
I'd
rather spend the few extra bones and get there a bit sooner on a 800 mile
trip.
The whole trip up and back to RMIHR about 1600 miles total, I get about
11mpg.

      The 392 in the Patriot is/has been worked over much like yours has
(though
not quite as much) and the stock 392 in my Yellow TA both run about the
same numbers
just that the Patriot likes to kick you in the seat a bit more when you hit
the 'GO'
pedal.

      Just a few more data points:  Patriot with flex fan rigid mounted
typically runs
about 210deg. and peaks out at about 225deg on big long hills/pulls.
Yellow TA has
been known to boil over and the like, so temp data for that truck isn't
clear, yet after
I finish the Comer 392+ the numbers will most likely be somewhat similar, I
think.

      BTW, I'm not up on jets and needles in the 140x carbs, but how do you
determine
power and cruise settings?

JoelB

----------Included Msg Follows----------

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to find that the "slow" sections of
road where I was on a 2-lane, or laboring over passes and around windy
bends, or otherwise NOT hauling @$$ at 75mph will be closer to the
9/10mpg mark, while the stretches where I was making time will lean more
towards 5mpg.

I tried watching the vac gauge during the trip.. and sadly noted it
hovering around 7" the majority of the time.. which, as I understand it,
is right at the point where the secondaries open up on the 1405.

I still don't have my air/fuel gauge installed.  I'll try to get that
taken care of before next year and watch the mixture a bit closer under
real driving conditions so I can adjust the carb as needed.  I went 1
stage rich on power and cruise before I left, since the plugs were
white, and I refused to let my new 392 melt down. ;)

I managed 10mpg to the BinderBash at 75mph, but I wasn't towing
anything.  That was also on the stock jettings, and with only 5deg advance.

I think my trail Scout was part of my problem - it just sits too high
and blocks too much wind. :D