Re: [ihc] Tom's mileage

Joel M Brodsky wrote:

(Thanks Landry!) and I typically try to run about 12" of vac, and the mix
is a just a bit richer than middle of the scale.  Anyway, I get about 12mpg
nets about 14mpg.  Well, I figure for the time it takes to go 15mph slower,
rather spend the few extra bones and get there a bit sooner on a 800 mile
The whole trip up and back to RMIHR about 1600 miles total, I get about
11mpg.
I, too, opted to cede some economy for some expediency. I'd like to *know* for certain if 60-65mph results in a gain, and just how much of a gain, just so I can weigh my time vs. my pocketbook.

A test in "Tigger" a few years back netted 16mpg at 65mph and even nearing 70mph, but 10mpg at 75mph. On a short trip (100 miles or less) it meant I opted to keep it under 70. Saving 5 minutes wasn't worth it.

Over the 2000 miles I drove to get to RMIHR and back? @75 26 2/3hrs. @ 65? 30.75 hours. Almost 4 hours in savings.

Of course, I could easily regain the 4 hrs if I didn't have to stop for fuel so often.. :D

      BTW, I'm not up on jets and needles in the 140x carbs, but how do you
determine power and cruise settings?
I'm not an Edelbrock expert by any means.. so I hit the Edelbrock.com website and RTFM. :D

There it tells me which jets and needles equate to what "stage" or settings.

I also have some different springs for the vac. secondaries, but I haven't tried making any adjustments there. I could make it so the power enrichment mode doesn't kick in until 5" of vacuum (vs stock 7 or 8) and see if that makes any different in mileage.. though I suspect it'll just mean I'm hovering around 5" while towing instead of 7-8. ;)

-Tom